The K-Lite Codec Pack is a free collection of codecs and related tools. Codec is short for Compressor-decompressor. Codecs are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video. The very user-friendly installation is fully customizable, which means that you can install only those components that you want.
There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: The Basic version is the smallest and doesn't include a player. The Standard version contains everything what is needed to play all the commonly used formats. The Full version contains even more codecs and also has encoding support.
The text in black applies to all versions, the text in green applies to the Full and Standard versions and the text in red applies to the Full version only.Feature descriptions:
- Media Player Classic is a full-featured player which has internal decoding support for DVD, MPEG-2, MP2, MP3, AC3 and DTS. It also has internal support for opening Matroska and Ogg containers. Media Player Classic (MPC) is also capable of playing other content if those codecs are installed.
- FFDShow is a DirectShow decoding filter for decoding various audio and video formats like DivX, XviD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, MJPEG, CinePack, TrueMotion, DV, ASV1, ASV2, VCR1, VP3, Huffyuv, Theora, AAC, AC3, DTS, MP2, MP3, MP4 and TrueAudio. When using FFDShow you don't need to install separate decoders for these formats. FFDShow is based on the original DirectShow filter from XviD for decompressing movies with a rich set of video postprocessing filters. For video decompression it uses the libavcodec from the ffmpeg project and to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies it uses the postprocessing code from mplayer. FFDShow can also be used as a separate postprocessing filter for other decoders. Features of FFDShow include: Fast video decompression using optimized code for MMX (MultiMedia eXtensions), SSE (Streaming SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data) Extensions), SSE2 and SSE3 on Intel (Integrated Electronics) Pentium processors and on AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) Athlon processors also 3DNow!, Support for a lot of different codecs, Image postprocessing for higher playback quality, Automatic quality control: it reduces the postprocessing level when the CPU (Central Processing Unit) load is high, Hue, saturation and luminance correction, Sharpening filter, Presets, Support for various subtitle formats and FFDShow is completely free and open source under the restrictions of the GPL (General Public License).
- XviD Decoding is required for playing XviD movies. XviD is currently the most popular format.
- XviD Encoding is required for encoding movies in the XviD format.
- On2 VP7 Decoding 18.104.22.168 is required for playing VP7 movies. These are not very common.
- On2 VP7 Encoding 22.214.171.124 is required for encoding movies in the VP7 format.
- AC3 DirectShow decoder (AC3Filter) is required for playing movies that have an AC3 audio stream.
- AC3 ACM decoder is required for playing movies that have an AC3 audio stream in applications like VirtualDub.
- Monkey's Audio DirectShow decoder 1.00 is required for playing Monkey's audio files (.ape). Monkey's Audio is a lossless (no quality loss) audio compression format.
- LAME MP3 ACM 3.98.2 is required for encoding MP3 streams and files.
- DirectVobSub (VSFilter) is a tool for displaying subtitles. Your subtitle files should have the same filename as your video file (for example MovieName.avi, MovieName.idx and MovieName.sub) and should be in the same folder (directory) as your video file. Then the subtitles will automatically be displayed in most players.
- VobSubStrip 0.11 is a tool which can strip languages from VobSub subtitle files (.idx and .sub files).
- GraphStudioNext is a visual tool for building and testing DirectShow filter graphs.
- Media Player Classic
- XviD Decoding
- XviD Encoding
- On2 VP7 Decoding 126.96.36.199
- On2 VP7 Encoding 188.8.131.52
- AC3 DirectShow decoder (AC3Filter)
- AC3 ACM decoder
- Monkey's Audio DirectShow decoder 1.00
- LAME MP3 ACM 3.98.2
- DirectVobSub (VSFilter)
- VobSubStrip 0.11
Developer: Codec Guide